The castle can be visited from 14 July to 31 August. An exhibition is dedicated to Pope Urban V. The hamlet can be visited all year round.
The main part of the medieval construction was built in the middle of the 14th century and probably extended in the 15th century. In 1309 Guillaume Grimoard was born here and became Pope in 1362 under the name of Urban V. He spent part of his childhood there.
The building was abandoned at the end of the 15th century. From the 17th to the 19th century, major alterations were carried out and in the 19th century the estate was transformed into a farm and a municipal school. The main mass of the building is rectangular in plan and is made up of various buildings: watchtower, farm building, central building, etc. Around this complex, the remains of defensive devices can be recognised.
The current owner of the castle is the Marquis of Laubespin. He has restored the old ruins and brought back to life the beautiful residence that can be admired today.
Labels - brands: Classé aux monuments historiques
48220 - PONT DE MONTVERT - SUD MONT LOZERE
+33 4 66 45 81 94